I love love love my homemade peppermint breath spray! If you want an inexpensive way to keep your breath fresh, your mouth healthy, and to boost your health then consider making your own super easy peppermint breath spray. It is all natural and not only does it help freshen your breath it can help to kill bacteria in your mouth which prevents cavities! It also makes a great gift for friends, family or that person at work with the bad breath! (video at the bottom of the post)
Easy Homemade Peppermint Breath Spray Ingredients
We all want fresh breath and buying the commercial breath fresheners is not only expensive but they can contain artificial chemicals and preservatives that you don’t want in your body. I add only 3 pure and clean ingredients that are health-promoting to this peppermint breath spray.
- Peppermint has been shown in studies to have many health benefits including relieving nausea, soothing the digestive tract including IBS. Peppermint is invigorating and can even enhance athletic endurance. Peppermint tastes amazing and is an antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-fungal oil that promotes mouth health.
- Xylitol is a plant-derived sweetener that helps to kill bacteria in the mouth by starving them and preventing them from sticking to your teeth. This benefit can help lower the risk of cavities.
- Water is the majority of this amazing elixir. It is best to use purified water or at a minimum boiled water to ensure it is clean. I warm the purified water so it will melt the xylitol.
Products I use in this Recipe
The following list provides products that I use to prepare this recipe at home. This list contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Some of the prices are great bargains while others might not be. I share these links with you to help you choose products that you may be unfamiliar with. See my disclosure for details on affiliate links.
- It is always best to have dark spray bottles to protect the delicate essential oil. I prefer the 1-ounce size, it easily fits in my purse and I don’t have to fill it up too often.
- This recipe calls for peppermint essential oil. Make sure to get 100% pure essential oil to ensure quality.
If you want to try other essential oils I suggest spearmint or clove because of their amazing flavors.
- I prefer to sweeten my peppermint breath spray with xylitol because it is good for your teeth and does not have an aftertaste.
- Most xylitol comes in large crystal form which can take some time to dissolve. I prefer to use my Magic Bullet to grind it down into a fine powder so it melts easily.
- I repackage my xylitol into Food Saver bags so I can seal it airtight with my Food Saver.
- I use a mini funnel to easily pour the xylitol into the bottle.
- Most bottles of essential oil do not come with a dropper for use. I prefer to use glass dropper instead of plastic.
This recipe is easy peasy and you can easily adjust the flavors and sweetness to your own tastes.
- Add warm filtered water to about a fingertip below the top of a clean 1 ounce dark colored spray bottle.
- Add a 1/2 – 1 teaspoon xylitol powder to the water in the bottle. Adjust the xylitol once you test the flavor to your own tastes.
- Add 5-20 drops of peppermint essential oil based on your tastes. The more drops of peppermint added, the stronger the flavor so always starts with less and work your way up.
Place the sprayer on the bottle and shake well to dissolve the xylitol and mix everything up. Taste and adjust the ingredients to your desired flavor. ENJOY!